JPL Report 18 April 2015

PL U12’s Belconnen United 9 vs Canberra FC 0

Noah’s hat trick was the stand out in a fine performance by the U12’s who won 9-0 over Canberra FC. A first half brace from Cooper and James, as well as goals from Noah and Odhran, had the team up 6-0 at half time. Noah and Dylan scored in the second half to complete a convincing win.

Belconnen didn’t have it all their own way with Gabe, Rohan and Jake cutting off a number of fast breaks. However, Belconnen pressed hard at every opportunity.

A few photo’s from the PLU12 game.

PL U14’s Belconnen United 6 vs Canberra FC 1

The second game of the season saw Belconnen U14 against a Canberra FC side which had lost a few strong players to other clubs and had a bad start to the season losing 9:1 against Monaro in their first game. Our boys experienced  the first game differently, playing an encouraging game against Gungahlin and covering a lot of ground. With that expectation the first five minutes started with Belconnen controlling the ball and creating four great chances to score. Nathan Tokley missed one of the chances but at the end of the first half he was the outstanding player regarding his effort and motivation to keep the team one goal ahead. Belconnen took the lead in the first half with Jono Leayr and Leon Michl scoring but after that the team shifted two gears down. Suddenly, there was not much movement off the ball and Canberra FC dominated the second part of the first half. After scoring one goal, especially the physical strong attackers were gaining superiority in the air and Ben Nicholas in goal had two terrific saves to keep the team 2:1 up at half time.

There was not to much joy at half time but every one of the players tried to inhale Paul’s, Daniel’s and Simon’s talk to stick to a simple and efficient passing game, taking two/three touches and defending high to push forward.
The half time inspiration seem to have worked. Already in the first minute a combination of 15 completed passes almost brought the third goal. Also, it was interesting to see that the team had altogether 135 completed passes in the second half whereas only 90 in the first 35 minutes. The gaining possession now suddenly created more chances. All players  followed Nathan’s effort from the first half turning the game to a clear domination by Belconnen. After a converted penalty from Leon Michl, Liam Fitzpatrik, Noah Ayeul and Jono Leayr scored giving Belconnen in the end a well deserved 6:1 win. Especially the last 15 minutes showed a much fitter Belconnen side and the midfield with Niki Jadric, Luca Macor, Jackson Paesler and Jono Leayr using the space and width much better and wiser. It also gave the defence with Corey Smith, Oli Vincent, Harry Stewart and Nelson Curley (who played up from the BUDS) opportunities to try different positions. In the end well done and a great game to learn from. The coaches surely saw that sometimes some lads where out of position. Everyone is now looking forward to the upcoming game against Olympic.
PL U16’s Belconnen United 4 vs Canberra FC 3

The Under 16’s won their second game of the season after starting off well with a goal from Nick Rolls within the first 90 seconds of the game.  The set shot was taken after receiving a free kick 25 metres out, curving the ball into the top left.  For the next 20 minutes, the game was played at a fast pace, with possession being shared between both teams.  The change in the score came from the boots of Martin Crome, from a corner that was headed down from Nick Rolls, where Martin was able to turn around smashing the ball into the net leaving the keeper reaching for the sky.

Five minutes later, Canberra FC was unlucky not to score after hitting the cross bar but made repeated attacks on our defensive line before scoring from 40 meters out in the 33rd minute mark.  It would be another 5 minutes before another goal is awarded to Canberra FC after a free kick saw Gab Ayuel (Ex Belwest) player slot the ball in mid-air at the back post leaving Chris Milicevic reaching for the intercept.

The second half saw Eric Noheli miss a chance inside the 18yrd with some good covering defence from Canberra FC. But with a solo run from Canberra FC Gab Ayuel again, he was able to turn Reaghan Travers and side step Nelson Cary to smash his second into the net to have the home team go 3-2 up after the 60 minute mark.  This was then to be the start of a turn-around by the BUFC boys.  The tempo of the game stepped up to find Eric Noheli run onto another ball from Lucas Falconer but shot over the net.  Another set piece from Nick Rolls saw his shot hit the cross-bar followed by a Jayde James-Ward bullet like corner just missing his brother Ricci on the far post with a header attempt.

The next 10 minutes saw a number of no-calls from the referee that allowed Canberra FC to regroup to slow down the onslaught, but this was not going to last.  With some strong work Reaghan Travers, Liam Rae and Tom Cochrane, we saw Martin Crome cross a low ball to the top of the 6 yard box into a sliding Ricci James-Ward, bringing the score back on par 3-3 on the 82minute mark.  With less than 30 seconds later, a cross from Jayde James-Ward to a running Nick Rolls saw Nick head ‘chip’ the ball over the keeper into the net which saw BUFC take the lead in the 83rd minute.  For those that saw this on YouTube,, like it and share for all to see.  The game ended with a come from behind effort which leaves the boys with 2 wins from 2 games.

Well done lads, and we’ll do it all again next week against Canberra Olympic at Kaleen enclosed.