JPL Report – Round 8 – 30th May 2015

U12PL – Belconnen United 1 – Tuggeranong 4
Belconnen lost their first game of the season with a disappointing performance against Tuggeranong. The game started positively with Sam scoring from a great distance with a lob of the keeper. Marko and Riley, fresh from being named ‘player of the tournament’ at the recent ACT schools football tournament, controlled the midfield well but Tuggeranong looked dangerous on the break. Noah and Ryan were called on to make several desperate tackles. The Tuggeranong defence was on top and Belconnen would pay for missed opportunities. Tuggeranong levelled just before half-time and stepped up their play in the second half to score three more goals.
U14PL – Belconnen United 7 – Tuggeranong 2

The game this weekend developed into a cracking game against Tuggeranong United. Even that the BUFC boys played not always to their strength but when it counted the whole team played very effectively. … the first 20 minutes of the second half were just outstanding.


The game started almost which a big shock for our boys and they could have been behind the first time this season just after one minute. After loosing ball possession in the mid-field and seeing two quick passes from the Tuggeranong boys into space, creating a one on one with James, who stood in goals for the first time this season, the first goal could have been on the Tuggeranong side. Luckily, the final run came from an offside position (great lines man – Jackson). That incident surely gave Tuggeranong confidence and after a very even first half most of the ball possession saw the ball in the Tuggeranong rows. The score however told a different story. While Tuggeranong could not convert their possession game and clear chances into goals our boys did. It was a set piece from Luca against the cross bar when Jono reacted first to give our boys a 1:0 lead. The second and third goals were scored via a clip over the defenders and a pass into Zedan’s run to give Zedan and Liam another goal for the season. As the possession game was not working our boys used the speed of Zedan and Liam to have a 3:0 lead at half time. In addition, it was all to the credit of James that Tuggeranong could not score. They had more chances than our boys did after 35 minutes.

The second half saw for the first 20 minutes a completely different game. BUFC came out of half time with confidence, marking much tighter and being much smarter in the transition game. The midfield around Niki, Luca, Jono and Sam came into life creating some lovely ball switching. In addition, our defense with Max, Ollie, Corey and Harry was delivering ball after ball and intercepting these boys was almost not possible. The fourth goal was to the credit of Liam who was fouled in the box and saw the rest of the game from the bench. Leon converted the penalty with confidence. Liam was joined on the bench by Max injured as well and as Nathan was still physically at the Spurs game in Sydney no more subs could be made. But, our boys kept on attacking and all of us saw quickly another goal as a header from Noah who played a very strong game coming from the back found the target. Probably the most perfect play this season was a ball picked up by Leon in our half. Two touches and the ball reached Niki in the central mid-field. One quick look and a perfect switch to the right into the run from Noah. Luca was already smelling that chance and creating a run into the goalie box where he picked up Noah’s cross for a perfect header. Well done boys! In the last ten minutes some of our boys were running out of steam and the chances Tuggeranong missed in the first half, they were converting now to a final result of 7:2 for our BUFC boys.

Let us pick it up there for another tough one next week against Monaro and convert our chances as against Tuggeranong


Round 7 was set to be the game of the season so far.  Travelling to Tuggeranong is never easy, and is never taken lightly against a side that can score goals.  But as the day went on, the score was not something anyone would have expected, but it was true.  Scoring 6 big goals against a quality side was just outstanding.  The most impressive aspect was we kept a clean sheet which is not the Tuggeranong way of doing business.  A huge effort from Mitchell Craig, who was called up to play the full game as Chris Milicevic sustained a pre-game injury and without Josh McCarthy, who had helped out the development boys the day before, we went in with high hopes and have now pulled a 5 point gap between ourselves in top spot, and with second placed Tuggeranong, now looking forward to their next game.

Right from the kick off, the pressure applied by the boys was outstanding.  There were very few chances from Tuggeranong in the first 45 minutes as their focus was on getting quality balls to their main striker, Kyle.  On that day, young Marshall Dickson was outstanding as he played a true centre back role as our key defender.  Pure frustration was applied from the back four which saw Mitchell being pressured on less than two occasions.

Goals came through the talents of that man Mr. Guato … Martin Crome, quickly followed up by that goal scoring machine Nick Rolls in less than 1 minute later.  Not to be out done, more goals came through the services of Jayde James-Ward and Nick Rolls again bringing home 2 goals for the half.

Half time, we saw BUFC 4 – TUFC 0.

Some questions were asked of the Tuggeranong team who went into half time in unfamiliar territory, and with lots to show in the second half in front of a subdued home crowd.  In the BUFC corner, some praise and encouragement could be heard from our dynamic duo in Jimmy and Col as they look to finish the game off with less than 45 minutes to go.  We did however go into the second half with some injuries to Nelson Cary who performed admirably as he took himself through the pain barrier to see out the game in style and to Connor Schroder who received a full front collision that went unnoticed. 

Unfortunately for Nelson, he saw himself as the offender in the eyes of the referee as he picked up his second yellow card for the season (and probably his second in all his years of playing).  As for Marshall Dickson, who probably played his best game of the season so far would go on to play at a very high level in front of our club officials, who came to watch this top of the ladder clash.

Not to be out of the spotlight for too long, Nick Rolls again walks away from a game with a hat-trick, with three goals from his last three games.  Liam Rae also chimed in with a goal and played a great game on the wings.  Still without a goal to his name, that man Tommy Adamson again showed his talent as he was dominant again leading by example, providing options to the forwards by switching, and supplying deadly accuracy passes throughout the game.

Full time saw BUFC 6 – TUFC 0.

We look forward to a home game against Monaro this coming weekend, so buckle up as we continue our drive to the second half of the season with all players available for selection.