BUFC 6 defeated Senior Skilleroos 0

With a number of players unavailable for this critical game, the boys took the field knowing that with Melbourne bound coach Jimmy expects … “nothing less than 3 points this weekend”, was ringing in their ears from Thursdays training session.  Colin Stirton took the boys on and from the results, had done the boys proud with a depleted side.


The game kicked off and to be exact, it took 7 seconds to put the ball in the back of the Skilleroos net with an assist from Nick Rolls kick off to a running Jayde James-Ward who dummied the keeper to bring the score to 1-0.  It wouldn’t be long before a set free kick saw Nick Rolls again, put the ball to the feet of Jayde James-Ward, slotting home his second for the day after 10 minutes.

With some solid defence from Marshall Dickson and Lachlan Terry, it was difficult for the opposition to attack the goals as the stringed passes would be nullified to less than 4 passes given the quick reaction from the defensive 4, that included Reaghan Travers and Tom Cochrane.


The mid-field (minus Tom Adamson who played with the U18’s did not see him take the field as he was rested to nurse a leg bruising sustained from that game and Connor Schroder who was interstate) saw Paul Siwabessy and Liam Rae run riot amongst the midfield, help set up a number of opportunities that saw over 70% of the ball in our attacking half.  The half time score saw BUFC take a 2 – 0 lead but with plenty of determination left in the tank.


The second half saw the boys lift another gear as they used our Goulburn import Eric Noheli (Mr Batotelli) in some enterprising attacks as his pace saw him take on the keeper with a toe-punt chip that saw the keeper remain flat footed as the ball sailed over his head into the back of the net.  The score of 3 – 0 did not remain that way for long as that Jayde James-Ward again, was at the end of a superb throw-in from that man Nick Rolls, who saw him caress the ball gently to the ground from a flying leap, wrong-footed the keeper and flicked the ball into the back of the net in the same motion which saw him earn his first hat-trick for the season.


Not to be out-done, Nick Rolls (who was suffering from a head-cold) was still able to ink his name on the scoresheet with a great running goal that saw him squeeze the ball to the close side of the keeper, leaving him again with no idea in direction bringing the score to a remarkable 5 – 0 lead with 15 minutes to go.


To finish off the scoring for the day, Jayde was able to raise his total to 4 goals with a shot from within the 18 yard box.  Final score of 6 – 0 brings back a 10 goal advantage to our nearest rivals in Gungahlin, and a 3 point buffer with a bye this following round.  Our next game is against Woden Weston FC at Mawson where we need to bring our best for that week if we are to be considered the best for this season.